We have determined that the organizations we will be assisting this year are as follows: Police Dept. and Fire Dept. in Avon, Sheltering Wings, and Witham Hospital Chemo Unit in Lebanon.
- We need your help with microwavable bowl covers. Please make sure to use all cotton fabric, thread, and batting (such as Wrap-N-Zap) for safety in the microwave. We are hoping to see approximately 100 of the microwavable bowl covers so that we can provide not only Avon Police and Fire Departments but the balance of the county.
- Quilts for the chemo unit should measure approximately 48X60 to 48X72 and use mostly cotton batting, as they will be put into a warmer for the patients’ comfort.
- We could also use some baby quilts that will fit in “pack and plays” (measuring 36×36 or 36×40), as Sheltering Wings places their babies in them. They also need twin size quilts, and it was noted that they will begin housing men in the future, so men’s twin size quilts are also needed.
- Hendricks County Senior Services has requested fiddle/fidget mats in lieu of quilted items this year, for their clients who suffer from Alzheimer’s and dementia. Resources for these can be found on line.
- Regarding the quilts, just as many as you can make will be a great help, as the hospital services approximately 50 people a week and Sheltering Wings gives the quilts to the ladies and children to keep when they leave the facility.
- Pillowcases or tote bags are always welcome, as well.
Thank you in advance for your great help!
August 2018: The Donation Quilts committee needs all of us to meet the needs in our community. If we all do a little, together we will give much. Choose a step or two and share your skills and talents.
Patterns: Do you have cute but quick patterns for kids, place mats, wheelchair or lap quilts?
Fabrics: Next time you sort your “collection”, pass along those pieces unlikely to make it into a planned project. Remember – the global fabric collection is Fake News.
Designing: Do you love helping diverse fabrics make new friends? Lend us your creative vision.
Cutting: A bit OCD? Really into accurate detail? Well-prepared pieces make putting a top together a breeze.
Piecing: Love puzzles? No long-arm? Pick up a kit of pre-cut pieces for a top and return when completed.
Quilting: If you love this part of the quilt-making process, take a kit which includes top, back and batting. We’ll try to include the measurements to help you choose.
Labeling and Delivery: We can use help delivering items to Sheltering Wings in Danville, Children’s Bureau in Plainfield, Family Promise in Avon and Hendricks County Senior Services. It would be great to have members in each town to take this on. We are hoping to sew labels at meetings again, as we have done in the past.
Hopefully, one of these steps called out to you! Everyone is invited to be a part of our service to our community. Questions, comments, ideas? Feel free to contact the head of the Donations Quilts committee.